Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I found this, by chance, in the OED

Who says that the OED is too stuffy!?

3. nudge, nudge (wink, wink)[a catchphrase from the British television comedy programme Monty Python's Flying Circus: see PYTHONESQUE adj.]: used as an interjection to imply cheeky, conspiratorial, or mischievous insinuation or innuendo, esp. of a sexual nature. Also as adj.: designating or employing this kind of innuendo; sexually suggestive.

1969 G. CHAPMAN et al. Monty Python's Flying Circus (1989) I. iii. 40 Is your wife a..goer..eh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge nudge. Nudge, nudge... Your wife interested in er..photographs, eh? Know what I mean?.. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin, grin, wink, wink, say no more. 1973 Punch 7 Feb. 178/1 We are largely informed about British public affairs by a hallowed process of nudge-nudge, wink-wink, Know-what-I-mean. 1977 Club Tennis Mar. 6/6 Senior lady players, in my experience (and I have some experience in that field, nudge, nudge), take very badly to being beaten by up-and-comings. 1990 Internat. H & E Monthly 92 No. 2. 58 Once we proceed past the nudge, nudge, wink, wink routine I find that most people are genuinely interested. 2001 Heat 27 Oct. 101/4 Sue Johnston appears too, as Silas's nudge nudge, ‘housekeeper’.

No comments: